It is forecasted that lightning, followed by rain will hit the state around 2 pm to 10 pm. In some places, it will continue till midnight.
Thiruvananthapuram: The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has informed that heavy rainfall accompanied by thunderstorms will lash isolated places in Kerala from Monday to Wednesday.
The Kerala State Disaster Management Authority (KSDMA) has declared lightning as a disaster in the state. KDMA has issued certain guidelines to be followed by the public to counter the risk from lightning.
It is forecasted that lightning, followed by rain will hit the state around 2 pm to 10 pm. In some places, it will continue till midnight. Such lightning is disastrous. It will be harmful to human beings as well as electric equipment.
Hence, the public is advised to strictly follow the guidelines, directs KSDMA. The authority also warned that the public should be vigilant whenever rain clouds appear in the sky. As lightning is not visible, proper measures should be taken to prevent damage from the disaster.
KSDMA also pointed out the need to take care of children. It is directed that children should not be allowed to play outside from 2 pm to 10 pm if the sky is cloudy.
Guidelines issued for the public during lightning
- Shift to safe building
- Never go outside for taking clothes from the terrace or courtyard if the sky is cloudy
- Don’t take wet clothes from outside Keep doors and windows closed Don’t touch on the floor or walls Avoid sitting on terrace or tree branches Avoid taking bath
- Try to avoid using phone
- Always keep your electric equipment disconnected
- Don’t touch on metal objects or electric equipment
- Connect surge protectors to your electric equipment to avoid damage
- Install lightning arrester on buildings
- Don’t take shelter under trees